|Occupational Health and Safety
Hazardous Substances: Chlorine
Chlorine can create ill-health effects if it is inhaled, ingested, or if it comes in contact with eyes of skin.
Chlorine gas may cause severe irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract with tearing, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, choking,
and chest pain. Severe breathing difficulties may occur which may be delayed in onset. Pneumonia may result. Severe exposure may
be fatal. In high concentrations chlorine may irritate the skin and cause sensations of burning and prickling, inflammation, and blister
formation. Liquid chlorine may cause eye and skin burns on contact.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to chlorine may cause corrosion of the teeth and skin irritation.
Recent environmental studies have shown a link between drinking chlorinated water and increased risk of gastrointestinal cancer.
All carcinogens should be eliminated from the workplace wherever possible as even minute amounts can initiate the uncontrollable
growth of abnormal cells.
Local exhaust ventilation
General dilution ventilation
Personal protective equipment.
ACGIH TLV 0.5 ppm (1.5 mg/m3)
U.S. NIOSH recommendation 15 minute maximum (ceiling) 0.5 ppm.).
Source: CAW Health, Safety & Environment Department