|September 18, 2006
CAW Rail Conference - September 22 to 24, 2006 at the CAW Family Education in Port Elgin, Ontario
|The CAW Rail Conference is September 22 to 24, 2006 at the CAW Family Education Centre in Port Elgin, Ontario. The conference
will be attended by CAW Rail leaders and members who work in the rail sector. The event is well timed in that it brings together
railway union activists just prior to the start of national bargaining for new contracts at Canada’s largest freight railway, Canadian
National Railway Co. (CN), and Canada’s largest passenger rail operator, VIA Rail Canada.
Key speakers to the event will be:
- CAW National President Buzz Hargrove;
- Lewis Gottheil, Counsel for the CAW who will speak on the Duty to Accommodate in the Federal sector;
- Warren Edmondson, Chair of the Canadian Industrial Relations Board;
- Ted Weatherill, long time arbitrator to the rail sector who will provide an overview of arbitration in the Federal sector;
- Mac Urata, Secretary, Railway Section of the International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF)
Workshops will also be held on Rail Safety, Health & Safety – Ergonomics and Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI), Arbitration, and Skilled
Trades – “Modernization of Rail.”
Bill Murnighan, CAW National Staff Representative will provide an economic overview of CN, CP, and VIA Rail.
After the conference wraps up at approximately 1:30 ET on Sunday (Sept.24), the Union’s CN and VIA Rail Master Bargaining
Committees will meet.