|August 14, 2006
Vancouver, site of the CAW Constitutional Convention - August 15 to 18
|The CAW held its 8th Constitutional Convention in Vancouver, August 15 to 18, 2006 at the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition
Centre. More than 700 delegates from CAW locals from coast to coast to coast as well staff and guests attended the Constitutional
Convention, which is held every three years.
The theme of the convention was “Making A Difference,” which captures the union’s commitment both in the past and the future to
social unionism and the ongoing work of building stronger, more progressive workplaces and communities. Policy papers covered
politics and organizing and numerous guest speakers spoke at the convention.
CAW president Buzz Hargrove, national secretary-treasurer Jim O’Neil and Quebec director Luc Desnoyers all stood for re-election as
did members of the union’s National Executive Board.
CAW president Buzz Hargrove will gave a keynote address to the convention on Tuesday, August 15th.
Guest speakers included:
Tuesday, August 15:
- Victor Baez, Secretary General of ORIT (Americas Region of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions)
Wednesday, August 16:
- Ken Georgetti, President of the Canadian Labour Congress
- Jinny Sims, President of the British Columbia Teachers Federation
- Rejean Parent, President of the CSQ (federation of Quebec educators)
Thursday, August 17
- Marcello Malentacchi, General Secretary of the International Metalworkers Federation
- Rose Ann DeMoro, Executive Director, California Nurses Association